There are some ways to obtain citizenship in Canada but if you are not sure then you can get proof of citizenship in Canada.
This document is proof of your Canadian citizenship and you can apply for a Canadian passport with the help of this certificate.
You may not a citizen of Canada if you are in one following situation that is given below:
- If you were born in Canada but in a family of foreign diplomats then you are not a Canadian citizen.
- If your citizenship had been revoked.
- If you renounced your citizenship of Canada and never applied to get it back then you are considered a citizen of Canada.
- Marry a citizen of Canada.
- If you are living in Canada with the status of permanent resident for many years.
However, if any of these situations applied to applicants, still there may be a chance to immigrate to Canada under any one of the immigration programs in the country.
Once you obtain the permanent residence status in Canada then you become qualified to apply for citizenship in Canada.
contrariwise, if one of the following points belongs to you then, you are probably a Canadian citizen:
- If you were born in Canada (except for foreign diplomats) then you are qualified for citizenship;
- became citizens due to changes in the Citizenship Act;
- If you applied for the citizenship in Canada and obtained your Canadian citizenship;
- acquired citizenship of Canada as a minor when your parent or biological guardian applied for your citizenship in Canada;
If you were birth in outside of Canada and your parents were first-generation citizens of Canada then you are eligible to become a citizen of Canada. Those citizens who were born in Canada or naturalized come in the first generation of Canadian citizens, as per this rule. So, if you were born outside of Canada after 17 April 2009 and your parents are comes into first-generation then you are eligible to get the citizenship in Canada.
Way to apply for evidence of citizenship
If you want to apply for proof of citizenship then you have to prove that your biological parents were a citizen of Canada at the time of your birth. You can apply for citizenship evidence through the website of IRCC.
After submitting your application for an evidence certificate, you will get an acknowledgment receipt from IRCC, and your profile will be processed. You can also get the help of a lawyer to discuss options for getting proof of citizenship in Canada.