Canada offers high-quality education along with a high standard of living which attracts a large number of international students. Many students who wish to study in Canada want to know how they can migrate there and get a study permit without having to give an IELTS exam. A degree from a Canadian educational institution means good quality education at a price that is affordable. A large number of research and internship opportunities are also made available to students during their study program.
The beauty of the country along with tourist places that one can visit on and off-campus are also some of the attractions for international students. Security inside a university and all across the country is also high. Healthcare is also made inexpensive by the federal government along with the provincial governments of Canada. To gain a study permit you have to prove your language proficiency with a good score on a language test. The most common way to prove language proficiency is through an IELTS test, but it is not the only way. Here we explore how you can immigrate to Canada, the different ways and programs you can apply to, without having to give an IELTS exam.
What is IELTS
IELTS stands for the International English Language Testing System. It is an exam to prove English proficiency for those who are from countries that are not native English speakers. The exam has become a standard for students to attend if they wish to migrate to a country where English is spoken as a first language. It is an exam that is recognized by over 140 countries.
Can I Migrate To Canada Without IELTS?
The deciding factor here will be the reason for your immigration to Canada. If you wish to visit as a tourist, then you do not need an IELTS test score to gain a visa. If you want to work in Canada and get a work visa for it, it is not necessary to give an IELTS exam, but this may vary depending on the rules of the company you wish to work for.
Even if the company does not mention submitting an IELTS score, they can ask for a score at a later stage of hiring. If you are applying for a study permit, it is not mandatory to have given an IELTS exam. But this also varies depending on the university you are applying to and for what study program. If you wish to pursue higher studies in Canada, the IELTS exam may become unavoidable and mandatory.
Canada PR Without IELTS
There are other English language proficiency tests accepted such as CELPIP. This is good for an IELTS alternative. If you have a close family member who has citizenship in Canada, they can sponsor you through a sponsorship program to help you gain permanent residency in Canada. This person can act as your sponsor if they have been staying in Canada for more than a year and have permanent residency in Canada.
Canada is among the top countries to migrate to and the general facilities and services made available to the public are amongst the best in many nations. You can work in Canada or study in Canada without having to take an IELTS exam if you have a work permit or are being sponsored by your family or your work company. If you want to gain permanent residency, you will have to prove language proficiency, but there are alternatives to an IELTS exam.
How To Apply for PR in Canada Without IELTS
The government of Canada has introduced many immigration programs to help immigrants gain Canada permanent residency. Even though IELTS is the most commonly taken exam for these programs, they also have alternative options available such as the Canada Language Benchmark. CLB is used to measure and assess the language skill of a person in English and see if they are eligible for Canada PR.
Canada jobs have been classified into 5 different skill types for immigration. This is called the National Occupation Classification
- Skill Type ‘0′: This classification has under it all the management jobs.
- Skill Level ‘A’: This type is used to describe the jobs that need a university degree or diploma.
- Skill Level ‘B’: This type has under it the technical jobs that need a person to have a college diploma or training before they can be recruited.
- Skill Level ‘C’: These are the jobs that need a person to undergo job-specific training.
- Skill Level ‘D’: This refers to the labour jobs in Canada that provide on-site training.
Mentioned below are some of the Canadian immigration programs that you can submit your application for Canada permanent resident status to, without an IELTS exam.
Canadian Experience Class
If you wish to be eligible for this program, you will have to fulfill the following requirements:
- You need to have a high proficiency in English, with a score equivalent to CLB 7 or higher and be eligible for a Skill type 0 or A job. If you are applying for any other skill-type job, you need a minimum score equivalent to CLB 5.
- You should have had work experience in a Canadian job for at least one year.
- The job experience you mentioned in your application should be for skill types A, B or 0.
- Your application will be given preference if you have a Canadian job offer or education credential from Canada.
Federal Skilled Worker Program
You must fulfill the below-mentioned criteria to be eligible for this program.
- Good language skills in English in the form of a test score equivalent to CLB 7 if you are applying for a job of skill type 0, A or B.
- You are required to have job experience of at least one year in a Canadian job, full-time or part-time.
- Your application will have a higher preference if you have work experience.
- You need to have completed secondary level education. Higher preference will be given if you have completed post-secondary-level education.
Federal Skilled Trade
It is important for you to meet the below-mentioned criteria to be eligible for Canadian permanent residency through this program.
- You have to provide proof of language skills in English with a score equivalent to CLB 5 in listening and speaking and an equivalent score to CLB 4 in writing and reading skills in a recognized language test.
- You should have Canadian work experience in a job of skill type B.
- You should have worked for a minimum of two years in the five years before submission of your PR application.
- You should have an offer for full-time work for one year after immigration.
- Your application will be given preference if you have educational credentials from Canada.
Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
You have to meet the below-mentioned criteria to be eligible for permanent residency through any Canada PNP.
- You will have to provide proof of your language skills in English.
- The skill type for which you can apply will differ on the basis of the province that you are applying to.
- Whether you are required to have work experience or not depends on the province that you are applying to.
- Job experience, a work offer and what level of education you need to have depended on the eligibility of the particula Provincial Nominee Programs.
Atlantic Immigration Pilot
You can apply for permanent residency through the Atlantic Immigration Pilot if you fulfill the following eligibility requirements.
- You will have to prove language skills with a test score of CLB 4 in English.
- Work experience for any period of time or in a particular skill is not required.
- You should have a work offer for skill type 0, A or B. The job offer must be for at least one year of work to be eligible for Canadian permanent residency.
- You should have a graduation degree from an Atlantic Canadian college that is publicly funded.
- The job offer that you mention in your application must be from an employer who is based in Atlantic Canada.
Working In Canada Without IELTS
Many people migrate to Canada for good working conditions. Services provided to employees are good and quality of work is given more importance than quantity. The IELTS exam is an English language skills test. It is to prove that you have the listening, speaking, reading, and writing language skills required to successfully settle and work in Canada after migration.
IELTS is not a mandatory exam to get a work visa for Canada. Some companies or employers can specifically demand that you should have given an IELTS exam and submit the score before you can be hired. If this happens, you will have to give the exam, but most employers do not have IELTS as the only option of a language exam you have to give.
Study In Canada Without IELTS
Students migrate to Canada in large numbers because of the presence of many good institutions and quality education provided. Many of the universities in Canada demand an IELTS test score be submitted along with your application to be eligible for a study program.
But there are colleges in Canada that do not require you to have given an IELTS exam. These institutions will grant admission to students who have a good score in English tests at the school level and see an English proficiency test score that is not IELTS. For what exam you can take as an alternative, you will have to visit the official site of the college or university and read through their requirements.
Work Permit In Canada Without IELTS
Students who have completed a graduate-level degree from a Canadian institution most often prefer to continue working in the same country. This is difficult to achieve sometimes because they should be able to gain a work permit or at least be eligible to Canada PR or both. To be eligible to submit an application for a post-graduation work permit, you should meet the following requirements:
- You should be a minimum of 18 years old at the time that you are submitting the application.
- The degree program that you complete in Canada should be as a full-time student and continuous.
- The study program should have been a minimum of 8 months.
- The university from which you completed the degree program should have been a registered educational institution.
- You should have the documents from the University that confirm that you have passed the course along with all its core subjects.
- The permit application should be submitted 90 days from the day the study course has ended.
- When you are applying for this study permit, you should have a work permit that is valid.