Why is New Brunswick asking for more immigrants?The province is facing an acute labor shortage due to less number of skilled workers. Low birth rates, rising elderly population, and higher rates of youth migration have led to the shortage of skilled workers. The Premier of New Brunswick, Blaine Higgs, has expressed concerns regarding the province’s aging population and labor shortages during a speech in an event. Thus, the province is working on ways to attract new immigrants and retain them.
Population Growth StrategyIn order to increase the population, New Brunswick is dependent on immigrants. If a large number of people migrate to the province, the population will increase and labor market needs will be met. New Brunswick has a population growth strategy which stipulates that approximately 120,000 new jobs will be created in the province over the next decade. Thus, the creation of new jobs will help in increasing the count of economic immigrants. The government of Canada has set a target to increase the number of economic immigrants by 7,500 each year until 2024. However, the Premier of the province is pushing to welcome as many as 10,000 newcomers each year. The premier has also stated that the province will open offices in India and Europe for promoting immigration to New Brunswick. It will help attract foreign workers and investors.
How to Immigrate to New Brunswick?
1. Immigrate through Express EntrySkilled workers who want to immigrate to Canada and settle in the province of New Brunswick can apply to the New Brunswick Express Entry Stream. Each province has an express entry aligned stream to recruit foreign talent. Likewise, New Brunswick’s provincial immigration stream is linked with the government’s Express Entry immigration system. Based on the Express Entry profile, the candidates will be given a Comprehensive Ranking System score. This score will be the deciding factor to get a provincial nomination from New Brunswick. If candidates receive a nomination through the Express Entry linked stream, they will get additional 600 points, which will help them secure an Invitation to Apply for Canadian Permanent Residence in the next Express Entry draw.
2. Immigrate through New Brunswick Provincial Nominee ProgramThrough the New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program (NBPNP), potential candidates with required skills and work experience can apply to the province for a provincial nomination certificate. The NBPNP have the following immigration categories through which prospective immigrants can apply:
- Express Entry Labor Market Stream
- Skilled Workers with Family Support
- Skilled Workers with Employer Support
- Succession Connect Pilot Program
- Post-Graduate Entrepreneurial Stream
- Entrepreneurial Stream